On 2012-11-12, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> On Nov 12, 9:46 am, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> please have a look (and perhaps reply - I am not an expert on this
>> stuff):
>
> It has to check that a certain analytic function vanishes to 8th order
> at a particular point. That involves proving that all its derivatives
> up to 7th order vanish at the point. It's the *proving* that's hard.
> However, proving that they're not 0 is straightforward: Just
> approximate to sufficient precision.
>
> Thus, if sage gets it wrong and pari and magma get it right then it
> looks like sage gets a precision bound wrong somewhere. One would
> normally expect that a routine like this will err by *overestimating*
> the order of vanishing, since underestimating involves saying "I
> cannot really distinguish this approximated value from zero, but I bet
> it's nonzero".
>
> That, or sage is correct and we're looking at a counterexample of the
> Birch--Swinnerton-Dyer conjecture.
sage: e.cremona_label()
'457532830151317a1'
sage: e.analytic_rank(leading_coefficient=True)
(4, -2.50337480324368498e-9)

here is what I got after some hours of running.
e-9 does not look as suspiciosuly small to me...

and if I try algorithm='rubinstein' I see the following repeating ad
nauseum:

  ***   bug in PARI/GP (Segmentation Fault), please report