On Nov 17, 2012, at 8:01 PM, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 1:01 am, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
>> On 2012-11-16 19:35, Nils Bruin wrote:> On Nov 15, 11:59 pm, Jeroen Demeyer
>> <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
>> After adding every single ticket, there is reason to expect differently.
>> This stuff is *so sensitive* to changes, even changes which look
>> completely unrelated.
> That's why the effort to do strict checking on memory management
> should help (and it was in that light that I interpreted your
> request). I think the sensitivity comes from the fact that you have to
> wait for the coincidence that a freed-too-early location gets reused
> and *then* written in its own role (i.e., actual corruption).
>
> gc.collect() all the time should make deletions a little more
> predictable and a very strict malloc/free should detect the problem
> sooner. I'm afraid that MALLOC_CHECK_ isn't as good as BSD's gmalloc,
> where even an access-after-free is a segfault (and many out-of-bound
> accesses too).
>
> Once one gets a little better in writing valgrind suppressions it's
> easy to let valgrind produce less irrelevant output, so perhaps
> there's a future for that. Or perhaps a tool to query and sort
> valgrind reports after the fact (basically filter after the fact).
> Perhaps it's time for William to hire someone again who is really good
> at this stuff, because mathematically it's utterly uninteresting work
> (and it really is finding and cleaning other people's mess)

At one point I had the goal of creating a suppressions file so that the
doctests passed "cleanly".  I'm sure some of the suppressions were actual
problems, but it would at least allow you to find new problems.  I still have
the scripts that I used to collect and remove duplicate suppressions.  I would
be happy to run them again if people thought it would be useful.  Sadly my
machine isn't the fastest, so it takes quite a while (running all the doctests
under valgrind is _slow_).  I never did make it all the way through the test
suite.  But especially if I knew the likely areas it wouldn't be too hard to
run some overnight and see what turns up.

-Ivan