On Nov 18, 9:22 am, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How different is "rational number"*"finite field element"
> from division, which is also a partial operation?
> (Well, I admit I don't know Sage's coersion model at all...)

Robert is probably more qualified to explain, but I'll try for now.
Both
<finite field element> * <rational number>
and
<finite field element> / <integer>
fit the pattern

In order to make sense of this, sage tries to find/construct a
"minimal" common parent C into which both A and B coerce. Integers
coerce into finite fields; all of them. It's the operation that later
fails.

Rationals don't coerce into finite fields and that's probably a good
thing.

How damaging would it be to borrow the same mechanism as scalar
multiplication for this, i.e., define a "partial" action of Q on
GF(p)?

How much would we gain by doing so? If we don't automatically get a
"partial" action of Q on GF(p)['x'] and VectorSpace(GF(p),3) it's
probably not worth the effort.