On Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:45:23 AM UTC-8, P Purkayastha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else running the notebook on sage-5.5rc0? I am unable to run
> the notebook and instead get this error:
>
> [snip]

> NameError: name 'text_control' is not defined
>

> I have installed atlas-3.10 (because 3.8.4 refuses to compile for some
> reason) from #10508, and ccache from #13032. However, the error that I
> get above seems more basic and unrelated to the changes introduced by
> the above packages.
>

> On the other hand, if I run sage first and then type notebook() from
> inside sage, then it works and I get no errors. Somewhere an import is
> not being performed when "sage -n" is being run.

I think the problem is that when you run "sage -n", it uses the old
deprecated notebook: see the script SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/sage-notebook,
which contains the line

  from sage.server.notebook.all import notebook

for example. I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue before. In ticket
#11409, there are some patches to fix this.

--
John