Something  like the information provided at
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/thematic_tutorials/tutorial-objects-and-classes.html#sage-specifics-about-classes
would be nice to have for an mathematical object in general. A good
start would be the blog post at sagemath.blogspot.com from William,
explaining the coercion model:
http://sagemath.blogspot.de/2010/11/brief-history-and-motivation-behind.html
I think it is the wrong way, that somebody who wants to start coding for
sage  must have to look at the source code to get a to learn something
about the design and structure of sage.

greatz
Johannes