On Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:05:52 AM UTC+8, kcrisman wrote:

> As for equipment, there's been talk recently about a bootable USB thumb
>>> drive with Sage on it.  Having various ways to hand out Sage to people who
>>> bring their laptops by would be great.
>>>

>> The possibility to create working bootable USB sticks from the Sage Live
>> CD is there at least since 3 years. If you have a computer running sage
>> live CD on it then you can install it to the peoples sticks (GUI interface)
>> - would also be possible directly at the exhibition. In most cases people
>> can keep there data on the stick, because the distro just needs 600 MB free
>> in its own folder (not a dedicated partition).
>>

> I think they meant the possibility of *bringing* such sticks :-) but yes,
> this is great.  In fact, I have a USB just sitting around here, maybe I
> should put Sage on it...
>
> Note that http://usbsuperstore.com/usb-silk has a picture of a
> custom-branded USB with Sage on it - except probably some other Sage ;-)
>  Unfortunately, all the wholesalers I saw (there are a LOT) want you to
> type in information for a quote, they don't just have a quote for (say) a
> 2GB nothing special drive.  It would be interesting to have a company
> preload Emil's image for 5.4.1 on USBs with the Sage logo and URL on it, I
> don't know if that would be worth the expense, though... since Sage *is*
> free anyway...

It is of course nice to distribute premade sticks. But the other way you
can show how easy it is to get sage running. Normaly the installation on
the stick should be done in 2 minutes. Rebooting the laptop, maybe fiddling
a bit with the bios boot settings etc... sage should run in 5-10 minutes.
Of course there are those new machines with this secure boot thingy ...
Anyhow it should be a good exersice for people to create a working USB
install, and then they can redistribute it this way at home.