On 12/15/2012 10:06 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> On 12/15/2012 08:51 PM, kcrisman wrote:
>> Just sayin'.
>>
>> http://science.slashdot.org/story/12/12/14/214231/ask-slashdot-replacing-a-ti-84-with-software-on-a-linux-box
>>
>> and then check the comments.
>
> The original poster didn't like maxima, because it doesn't have a
> "degrees" button where all trig calculations are done in degrees.
>
> How about sage?  Does that have a "degrees" button?
>
> Also many calculators have a "grad" button, where I found out by reverse
> engineering that there are 400 grads in a complete circle.  Does
> *anyone* use grads?

The e.g. sine function is defined in radians; that probably won't
change. If we're to support degrees, Octave does it with separate functions:

  octave:1> sind(90)
  ans =  1
  octave:2> sind(180)
  ans = 0
  octave:3> sin(pi/2)
  ans =  1
  octave:4> sin(pi)
  ans =  1.2246e-16

Unless there's a name clash somewhere, that makes sense to me, and would
be easy to implement.