>> Just curious - how would Mac fit in with all this?
>>

> Not sure what you mean here.
>

>> I know it's possible to do some of these package things with it, but for
>> the "ordinary" user... or would one still in principle be able to download
>> the Sage source, disconnect from the Internet, type "make", and wait for
>> some (smaller and smaller!) amount of time?
>>

> I don't know about the smaller and smaller part, but yet. The default
> download would contain a local "repository" full of tarballs for all the
> packages we're interested in which would be consulted before going online.
> The repository would not, so if you did "git clone [uri_to_git_repo]; make"
> it would download these dependencies (from sagemath.org), at least once
> (though perhaps it'd be handy to be able to share this cache between
> clones).

I think that answers my question; to the end user/"make"r, it would look
the same unless one decided to clone the repo, so on Mac one wouldn't have
to worry about trying to use Fink or Macports or something to get Linux-y
stuff ahead of time - just the compiler tools so one had make and gcc, of
course.