.py/.pyc files in $SAGE_ROOT/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages.

If you then remove a .py or .pyx file from $SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/ and
rebuild sage, the corresponding file doesn't get deleted from the
installation.  This means that, for example, import statements that point
to the file you removed will not raise errors.  This seems like an
excellent source of aggravation (as I just experienced last night, trying
to figure out why a clean install of the combinat queue wouldn't work, when
an old one would).

#5977 (merged in 4.0) provides "sage -sync-build" which deletes old files
in the installation.

Would it be a good idea for sage -b to run this automatically?  On my
laptop, it takes just a few seconds to run sage -sync-build.  So (at least
for me) the added time doesn't seem like an issue.

Of course, this is only really useful one time in a hundred (or less).  But
it seems to me that it would contribute to predictable behaviour of sage
(in that one time in a hundred).

cheers,

Hugh