On Friday, February 1, 2013 1:03:55 PM UTC, jori.ma...@uta.fi wrote:

> Should Sage aim to efficient code whenever something is added, or should
> we just put in something that works and lock "user interface", i.e.
> command or function name, order of arguments etc?

I don't think we have to chose. It is better to have a slow naive easy to
understand
algorithm than no algorithm at all. "Now is better than never"
And if there is a faster more efficient code, then add it as well even if
only works for
particular cases. So IMO the best you can do is add both algorithms, the
inefficient
one and the quick gap one. By default try to use the quick one, and if that
fails (if
the group cannot be defined in gap, for instance) then revert to the slow
method.

Incidentally, I think I misunderstood what you wanted to do. Apparently you
are trying
to identify conjugate *subgroups* of a group G, whilst what I did works for
identifying
conjugate *elements* of the group. So feel free to implement your wrapper!

By the way, the conjugacy classes patches are rebased and combined in a new
single patch, and ready for review
in http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7886

Most of the math was already positively reviewed by David Joyner, and then
Jeroen
brought up a problem with the UTF encoding (which I think was used only for
the
special characters in my name), everything seems to work now, and the
patchbot is
happy, so this one should be an easy review!

Cheers,