On 19 March 2013 15:16, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly the same happened to me: 2 rogue ecl processes consuming lots
> of RAM.  This is on ubuntu, same set up worked fine with 5.8 at the
> same time.

This report provoked almost no reaction in a thread dominated by vital
discussion of colour schemes.

I made the mistake of starting "make ptestlong" on a 5.9.beta1 build
last night without checking that that anything had been done so fix
this catastrophic problem (and without creative use of ulimit, I
admit).  This morning the machine responds to ping but we cannot login
to it.

I will not be able to get physical access to the machine room until
Monday at the earliest to reset the machine.  In the meantime does
anyone have any suggestions on how to get into it?  Increasing the
ConnectTimeout option for ssh does not help: after a few minutes the
connection is broken with a message saying that the server is not
responding.

How come testing sage-5.9.beta? has not had a similar effect on all
other Sage developers?

John