Hey,

On 2013-04-30, Jeroen Demeyer <jdem...@cage.ugent.be <javascript:>> wrote:
> > What are your major reasons for upgrading as opposed to building from
> > scratch? (multiple anwers possible, but only answer with things that are
> > important to you):
> >
> > A) Upgrades build faster.
> > B) Upgrading is easier.
> > C) I have a bunch of optional packages installed that I want to
> preserve.
> > D) I have various patches to the repos (e.g. devel/sage) that I want to
> > preserve.
> > E) Upgrading is cool!
> > F) None of the above, I do upgrade but I don't really care.

I never upgraded, I was very sternly warned against it.

> Currently, I do not upgrade. However, I *would* consider to upgrade,
> provided that A), C) and D) holds, and provided that one can easily
> upgrade to the latest beta version.

> Does D) really work, currently? If it did, it would be my main reason
> for using upgrade, because I find it a pain in the neck to first build
> Sage from scratch, then check for each patch in my patch queue whether
> it has meanwhile been merged, and import the remaining patches from my
> previous Sage installation.
>
> So, if upgrading would automatically clean the patch queue, by detecting
> which patches have been merged, it would really be E)!

   However, I would like to see upgrades if A) through C) held with
something similar to what Simon suggested was true, then D), and E). I
would also like to formalize what Simon said as another possible answer:

G) Upgrading to the latest development release

Although I guess when we switch over to git, developers using the repo
shouldn't have a difficult time with upgrading...

Actually, one last thing I just thought of, we can't completely control the
rebuild time of sage since there are certain files which trigger a major
recompilation. Although I've been told that one of the longest part of a
source build comes from the ATLAS part, and I guess we'd always be cutting
that out... (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Best,
Travis