Hello,

I am grateful to have been selected as one of the Google Summer of Code
students for this summer. I will be working on a benchmark framework for
testing functions over different domains, making symbolic the special
functions that are not yet, and implementing generalized hypergeometric
functions. Here are some more details from my application:

1. Symbolic wrappers
> A pending patch, ticket
> #4102<http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/4102>,
> will make the Bessel functions symbolic. I will similarly update the rest
> of the special functions. This will involve defining methods for evaluation
> and wrapping third-party libraries for handling simplification,
> integration, etc.
>

>From the open-source software listed at the
>DLMF<http://dlmf.nist.gov/software/>,
> Sage ships with Cephes (although it is not used for anything at the
> moment), GSL, MPFR, Maxima, PARI/GP, SLATEC (through Maxima), and mpmath.
> All these except Cephes and SLATEC have existing interfaces, facilitating
> the wrapping of functionality.
> The Bessel functions will be made symbolic by #4102, and the Airy
> functions by the pending
> #12455<http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12455>.
> hypergeometric_U, spherical_bessel_J, spherical_bessel_Y,
> spherical_hankel1, spherical_hankel2, spherical_harmonic, elliptic_J,
> jacobi, inverse_jacobi, elliptic_e, elliptic_ec, elliptic_eu, elliptic_f,
> elliptic_kc, and elliptic_pi remain to be done.

2. Benchmark framework
> The benchmark framework is important for determining which backend is
> appropriate for numeric evaluation of functions on different domains. Due
> to implementation details, different algorithms will be suited to different
> regions of the function's domain; for example, hypergeometric_U(-4, 10,
> 100) is faster with PARI, but hypergeometric_U(-40, -40, 10) is faster
> with SciPy. Picking the domains will require looking at the algorithm
> implementation. A benchmark framework will allow Sage to more intelligently
> decide between the backends depending on input, and also to detect and
> track regressions. A sufficiently versatile implementation could also be
> extended to other types of functions in the future.

I would begin by building on the benchmark system in tests/benchmark.py. I
> would create a subclass of Benchmark designed for numerical functions; it
> would accept arguments of domains on which to test functions, and generate
> random test values using the underlying rings' random_element method. For
> example, benchmark_function(gamma, domains=[[1, 10], [50, 60]], ring=ZZ,
> systems=['maxima', 'sympy']) would benchmark the gamma function on the
> integer domains [1, 10] and [50,60] using Maxima and SymPy (this is only an
> example to illustrate the proposed functionality; gamma does not
> currently have the option to be evaluated with different backends).
> benchmark_function(gamma,
> domains=[[-10 - 10*I, 10 - 5*I]], ring=CC) would benchmark gamma on the
> region of the complex plane bounded by the two points -10 - 10i and 10 -
> 5i. The current output format of the Benchmark class in benchmark.pyshould be
> changed to be machine-readable.

After the benchmark framework is completed, I would determine appropriate
> domains on which to test each of the special functions, and create a
> benchmark suite. Using the results of these benchmarks, I will modify the
> functions that have multiple backends to use the optimal one for a given
> domain

3. Hypergeometric functions
> #2516 <http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/2516> is going to
> implement generalized hypergeometric functions. These are a class of
> holonomic functions, solutions to linear differential equations with
> polynomial coefficients. Holonomic power series are closed under sum,
> Cauchy product, and Hadamard product, so these operations could be
> implemented. Useful references include
> 1<http://www.risc.jku.at/research/combinat/software/GeneratingFunctions/pub/mallinger96.pdf>
>  and
> 2<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.187.6502&rep=rep1&type=pdf>
> .

My mentors for this project are Flavia Stan and Burcin Erocal.

Now is the Community Bonding period; since I am already acquainted with
Sage and the community I can get to work :) I will be at Sage Days 48 in
Seattle.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or additional ideas please let me
know.

Thank you,
Eviatar Bach