I know that this is not exactly about the windows port situation, but
still, it is closely related to the sage-on-windows issue:

On the project ideas suggestions that were proposed by sage, there was
one dedicated to writing a GUI to handle the sage installation in
windows. No student decided to propose such a project.

On the other hand, there are people working on a cygwin port. I
haven't tested it, but they claim to have obtained something usable.
So it is not true at all that the windows port has been abandoned.
What it is true, on the other hand, is that the prefered way to run
sage on windows is through the virtualbox appliance. This is maybe a
suboptimal solution, but it's a solution that works. So the statement
that we are ignoring the windows is far from being true.