Frédéric Chapoton has written a patch at http://trac.sagemath.org/14733
that will beautify the Sage startup banner using some UTF-8 characters to
draw the box. This will display incorrectly in terminals that do not
support UTF-8. In that case, Sage still works but the box around the banner
is garbled (most likely rendered by placeholder signs for non-ASCII
characters).

Of course, various Sage source files are already UTF-8 encoded, usually
because of non-ASCII characters in docstrings. These will never render
correctly in ancient terminals, nor will editing such source files lead to
much happiness. The questions is essentially, do we want to make it clear
to the user right at the beginning that his terminal is not up to the task
or would we rather only have more subtle errors later?

Working terminals:
  * xterm
  * urxvt (the rxvt-unicode fork)
  * gnome-terminal
  * kterm

Not working:
  * Eterm (unless your distro integrates inofficial patches that are
floating around)
  * aterm
  * rxvt and various clones that predate rxvt-unicode