On Monday, July 8, 2013 4:51:28 AM UTC-4, Nils Bruin wrote:

> all the colour stuff should shut off automatically for a "dumb" terminal).

The colors are ansi escape sequences, they have nothing to do with unicode
for the record

> Why require it for *just* the banner?

As I said already, we *already*  require it for display of non-ascii
characters in docstrings.

> More personally, I dislike the UTF-8 banner because it looks too nice.

These kids nowadays, they have it to easy. When I was young, we had to walk
an hour through the snow to school. And uphill. In both directions ;-)