Why not extending RJF's
Mockmma<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/lisp/mma4max>to convert the MMA
implementation <http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~arich/Rubi4.2.zip> of the rule
base to Sage or Maxima? The latter seems easier to me as Mockmma is written
in CL (s.a. http://sourceforge.net/p/mockmma/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/Mockmma/).

I've tried to implement some rules in Pure
<http://purelang.bitbucket.org/>using the embedded REDUCE
interface <http://purelang.bitbucket.org/docs/pure-reduce.html>. After
twenty out of the 5000 rules I was overwhelmed ...  :).
kp