In an Emacs shell, Sage seems to be ignoring the TERM setting (dumb) and
sending ANSI escape sequences to the terminal around the "sage:" prompt.

[pippin:~] wjanssen% printenv TERM
dumb
[pippin:~] wjanssen% /local/sage-5.11/sage
| Sage Version 5.11, Release Date: 2013-08-13                        |
| Type "notebook()" for the browser-based notebook interface.        |
| Type "help()" for help.                                            |