> I may be misunderstanding where you're going with this, but are you
> proposing that
>
> sage: Mod(1,5) == 1
> False   # your proposal? -- since ZZ-->GF(5) is not injective

No, my criterion is that *at least one* of the maps from the two rings to
the push-out is injective.  Here it is the map from GF(5) to the push-out
(also GF(5)) which is injective.

On the other hand, Mod(1, 5) in ZZ would be False in my proposal because
here it is specifically the map ZZ -> GF(5) that should be injective for
the result to be True.

This would be inconsistent with what is done in several other math
> software packages:
>
> PARI:
> ? Mod(2,5) == 2
> %1 = 1
>
> Magma:
> > GF(5)!2 eq 2;
> true
>

> Consistency with the choices of other systems for basic things like
> this has some relevance...

I absolutely agree.

Peter