On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com>wrote:

I've been working on a "git trac" subcommand to complement the git suite
> with trac integration instead of the separate UI that the sage -dev scripts
> present. This project is the basis for my release management scripts, so I
> have been eating my own dog food for a while now. I think it is now in a
> state where it would be useful to others, so I propose to integrate it as a
> standard spkg. Obligatory vote:
>
> [ ]  Yes, please
> [X ]  Make it optional
> [ ]  No, you stink
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/15587

IMO, I think for developers who are using git directly that they should be
installing this under /usr/local (or some other prefix that they include in
their paths). In particular, I think it is a very bad idea to integrate the
codebase into the sage codebase for two reasons:

1. It will make it more difficult to get to install the tools in /usr/local
(e.g.), as you will have to hunt down in the sage source code to find the
appropriate setup.py.
2. We will run into the issue of the tools suddenly having a different
feature set while switching between branches (this was incredibly
frustrating for the dev scripts).

--
Andrew