I'm a fan of gentoo's package manager specification (PMS) [1], however the
only package manager that is fully compliant is portage, which I don't
think is appropriate for sage. In particular:

1. It requires a noticeably bigger bootstrapping of the world. Lmonade
reduces this to only ~20 more packages than we already have (if I recall),
but imo this is still too many.
2. Portage itself has many dependencies, often with very explicit version
requirements. This makes non-Linux platforms a pain, since you need things
like gnu coreutils and findutils.
3. It does not support tree relocation.
4. (Lesser) The Portage source is atrocious, and it performs terribly.

Imo, the most promising implementation of the PMS is paludis, however it is
not fully compliant (in particular prefix support is incomplete, and
binaries are assumed to be in the ELF format).

[1] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:PMS