On Saturday, 1 February 2014 20:38:03 UTC-7, jason wrote:

> On 2/1/14 9:33 PM, William Stein wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think we should include pip with Sage.  It's now the standard Python
> > package manager, and anybody using Sage now should always do this with
> > their new Sage install, so they can install/upgrade/remove(!)/etc.,
> > packages.
> >
> >      wget https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py
> >      ./sage -python get-pip.py
> >
> > I don't plan to do the work in getting pip into Sage.  But if somebody
> > else does, I would strongly encourage it.
> >
> > I'm not asking for a vote at this point, until at least somebody
> > volunteers.   I'm curious what people think though.
> >
> > Here's the webpage for pip:   http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/
>
> +1.  I always install it as practically the first thing.
>
> Jason

+1 (although I am not volunteering to do the work either)

Figuring out how to to correctly install pip (correctly in the sense make
it work) was one of the difficulties for me in compiling sagecell, since
sage -sh -c "easy_install pip"
did not work correctly and messed up something. Presumably there would be
no difficulties if pip was installed already.

Andrey