Hi

Perhaps someone on sage devel can help. Specifically this is called:

0 jan@snapperkob:~/src/sagemath-optional/sagemath-optional-6.1/debian$grep
-A1 SPKG postinst
        for SPKG in /usr/lib/sagemath/upstream/*; do
                HOME=/root/ DOT_SAGE=/root/.sage /usr/bin/sage -i
${SPKG#/usr/lib/sagemath/upstream/}|cut -d\- -f1,1;
        done;

Can another variable besides HOME and DOT_SAGE be set for where the
optional packages put things?

Of course postinst runs as root, and usually sage -i should NOT be run as
root. sagemath-optional was really for personal use, and I might
discontinue it if this is not cleanly solvable. Perhaps that can be changed
to su - but it would probably require adding a sagemath user which is a
whole bunch of extra work. Installing sagemath-upstream-binary does not
compile anything as root, it copies the compiled binaries into standard
places, with files owned by root., which is normal for many binaries.

It will not solve the problem that once the sagemath-upstream-binary is
installed, and a user runs sage -i as root, then the same problem might
follow, unless sage -i was patched to need a --force and to have a warning
when run as root.

Regards,
Jan

--