Nice work of documentation. Here is some further documentation that could
be interesting:

About methods to compute alexander polynomials, the classical result is
Theorem 3.11 from Birman's book (note that this is basically what you said,
since the burau representation is deeply related to the Fox derivatives of
the relations given by the action of the braid on the free group):
http://books.google.de/books?id=thv7L4AQ3J4C&printsec=frontcover&hl=es&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
This is an easy introduction to three different methods to compute
Alexander Polynomials:
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ucl.ac.uk%2F~ucbpeal%2Falexandermac.pdf&ei=9uQNU_fLA4mHtAa7roGoBQ&usg=AFQjCNEQEoaWGCkv1MhFLuz7qADnJ29zQg&sig2=cVCQv8y0eSRh_cryPaSKHQ&bvm=bv.61965928,d.Yms

There is plenty of documentation for other invariants too.

Note also that there are plenty of external software that can do
computations with knots and links. It would also be interesting to study
the possibility of wrapping them instead of rewriting the methods. It is
true that some of them are old and no longer mantained, but it might be
worth taking a look nevertheless.
Some links for this:
http://www.math.kobe-u.ac.jp/~kodama/knot.html
http://burtleburtle.net/bob/knot/homfly.html
http://www.math.uic.edu/t3m/
http://www.liv.ac.uk/~su14/knotprogs.html

Also it could be possible to use some method based on Skein relations, but
i am not sure how good it would work.