Hi Kitserve,

On 25 March 2014 21:15, Kitserve <ubu...@kitserve.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any chance of a build of Sage for i386 architecture? So far as I can
> tell, the aims repo only contains amd64 builds at the moment, and I
> haven't been able to rebuild the package myself from apt-get source as
> the debian/rules file doesn't contain any targets. I'm happy to help
> with the process if you can provide instructions.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> This message was sent from Launchpad by
> Kitserve (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kitserve)
> using the "Contact this team's admins" link on the AIMS team page
> (https://launchpad.net/~aims).
> For more information see
> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople

TL;DR
This is a common query for me.
I hope to have LTS 32+64 bit packages in the repo by May or June.

Some background:

Sage is a large open source tree. Many upstream projects combined. Sage
uses buildbot/buildslave network to build, and builds easily with one make
due to strictly controlling the versions. Debianization is a hard problem
due to having to separate out each component and having the right version
(and sometimes customizations/patches) in Debian. The project is underway
for a few years already. It was actually done in 2008 or so, but out of
date almost immediately, then orphaned. It has restarted a few years later.

I made a PPA to
* have an easy way (in the sysadm sense) to install in the meantime
* get automatic updates via apt
* add a desktop icon

The PPA does not really "build" sage but treats the open source upstream
tree, once it is built and distributed on sagemath.org, as a binary
package, i.e. simply copying the files into place in /usr/*.

The buildslave network is community run, e.g. AIMS provides the 64bit 12.04
buildslave. There is no 12.04 32bit buildslave for a while now, which is
why I had to discontinue that in the PPA. I hope to expand the AIMS
provided buildslaves to 4: 12.04 and 14.04 both 32bit and 64 bit. Then I
can "repackage in debs" those for the PPA. For non-LTS I just copy the last
LTS binary into the non-LTS space, that seems to work fine.

The community does provide a later non-LTS binary on sagemath.org.

The rules file has no targets as everything is in the install/links files.
The rules file basically says to build nothing (because it is already
built).

In the meantime, your 32bit12.04 LTS option is to build from source. You
get no auto-updates, or desktop icon (you can easily create) but you get
modular upgrades with sage -upgrade (only the components which change get
downloaded and rebuilt).

For example:
sudo apt-get build-dep sagemath-upstream-binary
cd sage-X.Y
make

Our delay is due to other institutional duties/academic calendar, and
wanting to put the buildslaves on a 14.04 LTS server with LXC guests for
the four instances. We've built a prototype to get familiar with LXC, and
can get back to this after 14.04 releases.

Regards,
Jan