leif wrote:
Is there already a ticket for issues with GCC 4.9?

I think I'll open a (small) metaticket soon.

(Release of 4.9.0 is scheduled for Tuesday, so we'll presumably face it
soon in some distros.)

Depending on when Sage 6.2 gets released, we may also release some 6.1.2
with only fixes for the new GCC version.

(See below.)

So far, Lcalc doesn't build without -fpermissive, and the pre-release
version of PPL contained in 6.1.1 at least won't build either (some
header / feature test macro weirdness I suppose).

Nope, for PPL 1.1 (included in Sage 6.2.beta*), it's just a name lookup issue (GCC 4.9 is stricter); replacing 'ptrdiff_t' by 'std::ptrdiff_t' a few dozen times is sufficient. (Then also its test suite passes, with '-O3', and the previously affected Sage library extension modules also build.)

For Lcalc 1.23, only a tiny (additional) patch is needed (cf. [1]) to let it and the corresponding Cython extension module build (without '-fpermissive').

I've built Sage 6.2.beta8 from scratch with GCC 4.9.0 RC1 (20140411) with '-O3', and ptestlong passes, on Linux x86_64 that is.

Will retry 6.1.1 (with the patches I now have for 6.2.beta8) later.

-leif

[1] http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/12437#comment:10

    (related Clang ticket)

--