On Monday, May 5, 2014 11:46:52 AM UTC-7, John H Palmieri wrote:

> This surprised me a little bit:
>
> $ du -s -h ~/.sage/temp/jpalmieri/cleaner.log
> 3.6G    /Users/palmieri/.sage/temp/jpalmieri/cleaner.log
>
> Is there any reason to have such a large file lying around? Should it be
> automatically cleaned up every now and then?
>
> Also, I've noticed several times a "sage-cleaner" process which was
> several days old. That's not supposed to happen anymore. For example, I saw
> this today:
>
> $ ps ux | grep python
> palmieri 67905   0.0  0.1  2441608   7244   ??  S    Sat10AM  59:23.08
> python
> /Users/palmieri/Desktop/Sage_stuff/sage_builds/clean/sage-6.2.rc1/src/bin/sage-cleaner
>
> (Note that this was running in a built-from-tarball Sage 6.2.rc1, which
> certainly contains the fix from #15457.)
>
> There were also several hundred directories in .sage/temp/jpalmieri/, with
> names corresponding to old process IDs, long since dead. Some of these are
> empty, some have sub-directories with names like "dir_3SAu4B". Shouldn't
> all of these directories have been removed by sage-cleaner? I have noticed
> that various Sage processes of mine have been getting killed mysteriously.
> I wonder if it's an over-aggressive sage-cleaner, seeing an old directory
> in .sage/temp/jpalmieri and killing a new process with the same pid.
>
> For what it's worth, this is on OS X 10.8 (and I think I've also seen it
> on OS X 10.9).
>
> --
> John

I think I found the problem (and it's all caused by one problem): see
http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/16293. On OS X, sage-cleaner never exits
because it keeps trying unsuccessfully to delete a directory. Since the
directory is still there, sage-cleaner keeps running. It writes a message
to the log file every few seconds after trying unsuccessfully to delete the
directory, so the log file grows rapidly.

Once this is fixed, sage-cleaner will delete all of the directories, then
the log file, then exit. Patch ready for review. I'm marking this as a
blocker, since we shouldn't leave any processes running, and it can really
pollute the directory .sage/temp of any OS X user.

--
John