> Well then go ahead and add a separate function for every distinct
> functionality. Then you don't need a hack to distinguish she way caching
> works.

Volker, we really have a LOT of places in the code which looks like that :

if case_1:
    if existence:
        return True
    else:
        do_stuff
if case_2:
    if existence:
        return True
    else:
        do_stuff

If we split the boolean/matrix answer, we have two functions :

def f1():
    if case_1:
        return True
    if case_2:
        return True

def f2():
    if case_1:
        do_stuff
    if case_2:
        do_stuff

The "if" can be long at times, there are MANY of them, and because one of
the two functions would call the other I really don't want any mistake to
be made in those "if" --> the two behaviours HAVE to match.

If I split it, we really have to duplicate a lot of tests, and this is not
a good design either. I prefer to have one place where the logic is
written, there will be less mistakes in the future.

Nathann