> I'm about to give a very intro talk about graph theory in Sage, and
> the graph database section [1] of the reference manual begins: "...
> This class will also interface with the optional database package
> containing all unlabeled graphs with 8 or fewer nodes."
>
> I can't find any optional package to install to get these extra graphs
> up to 8 vertices.   Anybody have any idea what happened to this?   I
> realize that this stuff was originally done by Robert Miller and Emily
> Kirkman, who have moved on to other things (Home Depot and Actuarial
> work, I think...), but maybe somebody has kept track...  If not, we
> should delete that line from the reference manual.
>
> There is a database included in Sage with graphs up to 7 nodes:
>
> for k in [1..9]:
>     print k, GraphQuery(display_cols=['num_vertices'],
> num_vertices=k).number_of()
>
> 1 1
> 2 2
> 3 4
> 4 11
> 5 34
> 6 15
> 7 1044
> 8 0
> 9 0
>
> So the builtin database is pretty tiny -- only just over a thousand
> graphs total?

Well, the problem is that there is a LOT of information in the database,
some of which is quite expensive to compute for all isomorphism classes.

Also, the database must still exist in some sense,
or http://artsci.drake.edu/grout/graphs/ wouldn't work... I just found all
three graphs with degree sequence 22222222 - which leads me to wonder how
that syntax would have to change if two-digit (in decimal) values for
degree were possible if the database were bigger ;-)