Well, it seems there is a fix indicated, which I found once I actually
searched for it:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/5gmv88_Mvgs/8qOpVS17eYIJ

...but by then I had already trashed Xcode, which fulfilled a long-standing
desire, anyway. :-) This isn't the first software package it's broken.

The downside is having to reinstall it. In and of itself, that's not *so*
bad, but Apple seems to have adopted the old [company name deleted] tactic
of moving the progress bar relatively quickly to 90-95% finished, then
sitting at "Installing -- 3 minutes", changing to "4" or "11" at random
intervals, typically a lot more than 3 minutes.

john perry