On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 8:45:34 AM UTC-4, Volker Braun wrote:

> Webassets doesn't install with the new docutils (
> http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/16736). What is it used for, and can we
> just remove it?

Good question, though presumably for something!   In #13121, we have

"new dependency on webassets for js/css autominification (not currently
used in the master branch)"

Especially things like

sagenb/data/webassets_generated/jmol_popup.js

in your list seem to indicate that there are a few places we might minify
js using this in sagenb, though I was not able to verify whether these were
the specific js files used in actual running sagenb.  And you'll note
that https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/tree/master/sagenb/data doesn't
have a webassets_generated folder, but I don't know if that means these are
just unneeded sources or whether we really don't use it at all...
unfortunately a lot of the people who might know this are not currently
active.  This dependency was apparently added
in
https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/commit/38327cae5a9e33f5ab1c90c0c27075df6d697f75

Got it.  This is only there so that people can use the "newui" branch
(which apparently is quite nice but under tested).
 See
https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/commit/6a8330ae7e907ac9c73b28a410286dd9384dd2dd

 Add @samuela's branch's dependency to spkg-dist

This way the spkg will still only contain sagemath's master, but you can
fetch and play with @samuela's branch without having to rerun `setup.py
develop`.

That took more time to track down than I would have liked.   So I guess we
can indeed scrap it, though if we can keep samuela's branch compatibility
(this is called the "newui" branch on github) that would be good for
honoring that contribution, as someone may have time to do this in the long
run (sagenb may not be cutting-edge but it is still the best choice for a
lot of local work; I assume it is lighter-weight than whatever local SMC
comes up but assumptions are dangerous).  Anyway, hope this detective work
was useful.

By the way, webassets seems to be at 0.11 and perhaps upgrading it would do
the trick as well.

- kcrisman