Hi Volker,

On 2014-08-08, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> metaclass that combines a given class Foo with methods inherited from
>> parent classes of categories does exactly the same.
>

> Not quite, metaclasses don't have to use the inheritance crutch to combine
> the actual class read from the library with a dynamic class. You can just
> generate any class you want directly, with the method layout that you want.

It needs to add some methods to the class Foo. Whether it does so by
creating a dynamic class whose bases are (1) Foo and (2) some parent
class, or whether it does so by taking methods from the parent class and
putting them into Foo's __dict__, is a "boring detail".

> Having a class name that is nowhere in the sources appear out of nothing is
> utterly confusing.

I admit that I found it very confusing myself. And it was the reason for
me to put some work into sage.misc.sageinspect, so that "??" shows the
correct sources more reliably.

Best regards,
Simon