This should be moved to sage-flame.

On Friday, August 15, 2014 10:42:14 AM UTC+2, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby
Microwave Ltd) wrote:

> If not against the GPL, this certainly seems to be going against the
> *spirit* of the Sage project.

What's the spirit of the Sage project? It's mission statement? Please
explain. In particular, how making an almost unmodified version of Sage
available to a much larger user-base with a greatly reduced level of
entrance (i.e. creating a login credentials vs. downloading >1GB,
installing VirtualBox and running a virtual machine) has any implications
besides fulfilling the mission...

> Maybe it is legal. I don't think it is morally right.

Everyone contributing to Sage is hopefully aware that it is GPL licensed.
The core essence of GPLed code is that it can be used for any purposes -
free (as in beer), commercial, medical, military, energy, etc. [0] For me
it would be morally questionable, if e.g. you would impose moral
considerations about how the code should be used. In particular, who gives
*you* the legitimacy to decide what is a moral use and what is not a moral
use? Nobody should have that.

[0] freedom 0, see https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

My own point of view is that there are great examples where using
open-sourced code for different circumstances improves it's quality. e.g.
Linux Kernel, Mozilla Project, … My core argument is, that merely
implanting Sage in different environments doesn't diminish its value or
functionality. Finally, if you do not like SMC, ignore it.