Currently in Sage, we have

sage: RR(2/3)
0.666666666666667
sage: float(2/3)
0.6666666666666666
sage: RDF(2/3)
0.666666666667

It's annoying that all these 3 are exactly the same thing (53-bit precision floats with the same bit pattern), but all 3 have a different __repr__. I noticed this in a doctest failure #16858 (a float was expected, but an RDF element was returned). The easy thing to do would be to just fix those doctests.

However, I would actually like to make the __repr__ of RDF consistent with the __repr__ of Python floats (except maybe NaN and infinity values, which are currently special-cased anyway). The change itself is quite easy, but it obviously gives massive amounts of doctest failures. I personally don't mind fixing those, but I wanted to ask for opinions here, since that change will have a significant impact.

Everything I said about RDF also applies to CDF, I would change that also.

Opinions?
Jeroen.