On 2014-08-27 21:01, Julien Puydt wrote:
but on a general basis people are quite welcoming of
sensible contributions.
Depends on the project. Whenever I think a patch is good for upstream, I do submit it upstream. My impression is that, unless upstream knows you personally, bug reports (even with patches) are often ignored. I'm not blaming those projects, but it makes the goal of having unpatched clean upstream sources much less realistic.

Jeroen.