On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Travis Scrimshaw <tsc...@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>> Well, I think you didn't understand me or I don't understand you.
>> There is already numpy, scipy and matplotlib in Sage and there is no
>> obstruction whatsoever to use it. One has to turn off the preparser,
>> otherwise you might see really odd errors.
>>
> I agree (probably needs better documentation). I would change the import
> directive for numpy to turn the preparser off and print a message about the
> preparser upon doing so (including how to turn it back on). Ironically, the
> best way to do this might be to use the preparser.

We should not do that.  It doesn't make any sense, as numpy gets
imported all over in Sage itself.

One could maybe print a temporary warning if somebody explicitly
imports scipy in an interactive sage session, maybe.

What we should do instead is fix things so that numpy/scipy/etc. work
even with the preparser enabled.
Robert Bradshaw actually already did a lot towards that with numpy
already, but there is more left to do.

There's nothing at all fundamentally incompatible about the preparser
and numpy/scipy/cvxopt.  Everything could be sorted out with a few
appropriate hooks, maybe some patches, etc.

 -- William

> Best,
> Travis

William Stein