Hi, during the last couple of days I've rewritten much of sagemath.org
and it's source is here:
https://github.com/sagemath/website/

tl;dr: Bugfixes and a slight visual refreshment, borrowing ideas from
some design principles. Almost everything should be at the same place
… so relax ;-)

Fixed:

* devmap was broken since months, had to update to another API.
This is probably a good point to tell me if you are missing ... or
even better: send a pull request!
https://github.com/sagemath/website/blob/master/conf/contributors.xml
(with a github account, you can even edit the file online ...)

* menu on tablets and smartphones, broken since ever.
since it was only showing up when hovering, something had to be done.
right now this is a kind of 3-state solution, i.e. open up the menu,
the first point is now  a working link as before, and you can close it
by touching anywhere else where there is no link.

* since I was already working on the menu, I made it stick to the top
- most modern websites do that. The only additional tweak here is,
that on smaller devices like phones, it actually moves to the left
when you scroll to the right.

Everything else happens behind the scenes. There is a makefile in
control of the build process and a much cleaner way how everything is
generated (distinction of source and build-result). It is also for the
first time feasible to develop locally. Most notably, this concerns
the generation of the download-related files for the mirrors (not the
mirror content, that's another construction area),
the publication files: some emails did pile up and now I have to dig
them out to fix this -> if someone is rather motivated to do this
properly:  https://github.com/sagemath/publications ,
 the development-map files and the components list.

There are a couple of things missing.
* /doc/ documentation files: there is at least one other script that
does something. that's usually all I know before I have to dig deeper.
* the components-list has an accompanying check for correctness, which
depends on Sage and doesn't do what it should right now.
* /old/ did contain the old website before there was the wiki. It's >
2GB and does need a lot of cleanup. At one point it would be cool if
that is yet another git project to preserve this.
* /talks contains quite a lot of, well, talks. They also need some
cleanup, they contain abandoned hg repos, ...

... I've certainly forgot some things, however please have a look and
see if some parts are broken.

-- H