On Saturday, 6 September 2014 20:34:56 UTC+2, Robert Bradshaw wrote:

> Note that Cython supports cProfile these days:
> http://docs.cython.org/src/tutorial/profiling_tutorial.html However,
> that won't help too much as the real missing pieces are the calls from
> Cython into the various C libraries.
>
> I'm also -1 to an approach that slows down all of Sage to track this
> unconditionally.

I am also not comfortable with an approach that slows down the whole of
Sage, just so people like me and my colleagues can get more credit.
Especially when we are trying to speed Sage up. :-)

> The decorator approach could be good for annotating
> functions (e.g. attaching them to some database the citations module
> would use) but recording every call could be prohibitively expensive.
>
> As far as the question of why software isn't cited, usually the metric
> of "usefulness" is #downloads.

That would be true of programs, not necessarily of libraries. There are
many more users of programs than consumers of libraries, I would suspect.

We don't track downloads for flint, only unique pageviews on our download
page, which come in at a little over 200 a month.

I find such a metric a little difficult to interpret.

If you're established enough that