> I would also be very happy if 1-based permutations were not at the same
> time 0-based words, i.e.:
>
> sage: Permutation([3,2,1])(1)
> 3
> sage: Permutation([3,2,1])[1]
> 2

I understand your concern but on the other hand, the following behavior is
good:

sage: Permutation([3,2,1])
[3, 2, 1]
sage: list(Permutation([3,2,1]))
[3, 2, 1]
sage: list(Permutation([3,2,1]))[0]
3
sage: list(Permutation([3,2,1]))[0] == Permutation([3,2,1])[0]
True

I wouldn't want list(perm) to return something different than the
permutation word itself, especially because I want to have:

sage: perm = Permutation([3,2,1])
sage: Permutation(list(perm)) == perm
True

I'm afraid that by "fixing" this, we would just break other things and
obtain very annoying behavior in practice. For me the 0-based word is not
really a problem. People who want to stay strictly 1-based can use only the
call perm(i) and you need perm[i] only when digging inside the structure
itself.

Best,

Viviane