On Monday, September 15, 2014 3:24:42 PM UTC-4, Eric Gourgoulhon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've noticed the following change in simplifications between Sage 6.3 and
> preceeding versions:
>
> In Sage 6.2 (and preceeding):
>
> sage: simplify( abs(sqrt(x)) )
> sqrt(x)
> sage: simplify( abs(1/sqrt(x)) )
> 1/sqrt(x)
>
> while in Sage 6.3:
>
> sage: simplify( abs(sqrt(x)) )
> sqrt(x)
> sage: simplify( abs(1/sqrt(x)) )
> abs(1/sqrt(x))
>
> The behavior in Sage <= 6.2 is coherent and correct for x real (but not
> for x complex !), while that in Sage 6.3 is not coherent (why simplifying
> abs(sqrt(x)) and not abs(1/sqrt(x)) ?). Is there any reason for this ?
> Shall this be considered as a bug ?

Remember, under the hood `simplify` just sends to Maxima and back.   I
can't even get Maxima to return 1/sqrt(x) in this situation with Sage 6.2,
though, so maybe it fixed a bad translation on our part...  but I don't see
how the most relevant change of making sure Sage variables are unique could
have done this, so I assume Maxima changed this behavior, as there was an
upgrade in between.

Vincent's ?! example would also be a Maxima thing... well, I guess if abs
gives you the magnitude of the complex number in question then it must be
correct!