On Friday, September 26, 2014 6:55:39 AM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> IMHO it would be great to have this in mpmath rather than a Sage
> workaround.
> (AFAIK, hypergeometric_U is vulnerable to the very same problem, so this
> would mean the workaround would either be needed in several places...)
>
> It would be good if mpmath used a different approach when it's known a
hypergeometric function is a polynomial, but it's a little orthogonal to
what happens in sage. By the time we hit mpmath, we're doing multiprecision
float computation. Polynomial hypergeometric functions can easily be
evaluated at arbitrary inputs (rational, algebraic, symbolic). We should
not be bothering with multiprecision floats if we don't have to, or at
least only do so if there's a benefit and we can control precision issues.