On 2014-09-26, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpfl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > 2. Dima -- do we specifically use bash features in the build scripts of
>> > Sage?
>>
>> Sage scripts have "!/usr/bin/env bash" all over the place.
>> I don't know about 'bashisms' though - one should test on a Debian system,
>> where bash is not essential, as they have a push to move to dash years
>> already
>> on.
>> (and so removing bash and making it a symbolic link to dash).
>>

>> AFAIK we do use bashisms : on FreeBSD one has to install bash before
> installing Sage.
and for a reason:
here is what Debian script says:

$ checkbashisms -f src/bin/sage
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 92 ('command' with option other than -p):
    command -v kash &>/dev/null || \
    echo "                         (not installed currently, run sage -i kash)"
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 92 (should be >word 2>&1):
    command -v kash &>/dev/null || \
    echo "                         (not installed currently, run sage -i kash)"
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 96 ('command' with option other than -p):
    command -v M2 &>/dev/null || \
    echo "                         (not installed currently, run sage -i
macaulay2)"
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 96 (should be >word 2>&1):
    command -v M2 &>/dev/null || \
    echo "                         (not installed currently, run sage -i
macaulay2)"
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 307 (should be >word 2>&1):
    sage-cleaner &>/dev/null &
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 490 (should be >word 2>&1):
    if tput rev &>/dev/null; then
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 630 (should be >word 2>&1):
    sage-cleaner &>/dev/null &
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 637 (should be >word 2>&1):
    sage-cleaner &>/dev/null &
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 643 (should be >word 2>&1):
    sage-cleaner &>/dev/null &
possible bashism in src/bin/sage line 661 (time):
    time build_sage "$@"

looks like quite a bit of work to do, in case.
E.g. there is no 'time' in dash.

Dima