On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 8:48 AM, mmarco <mma...@unizar.es> wrote:
> I am working on an optional package for the knot atlas. The idea is to
> download the database of knots and links and be able to query it.
>
> I have downloaded a +300MB .rdf file from the knot atlas web page. Juyst
> parsing it takes a bit. Which would be the right format to store that
> information in a way that is fast to access? Or is it better to just use the
> file provided by upstream and parse it every time?

It depends on what you're doing.   If you can use SQLITE [1] then it
is pretty much the optimal solution to the above problem.    (I say
"can use", since SQLITE is awesome when it is applicable to a problem,
but it might not be since it doesn't use a client/server model.)
Python has excellent SQLITE support.   I usually just use [2]
directly, though there are object relational mappers (I don't
recommend that if you care about performance).

[1] http://www.sqlite.org/

[2] https://docs.python.org/2/library/sqlite3.html

--
William Stein