Write this and send to mail lists for Graphviz, igraph, graph-tool and
networkx.

I am looking for a way to better represent models of systems.  I currently
use Visio.  It is failing my needs for multiple reasons.  Some of the
specific failures a programmable tool may alleviate may be:

Life-cycle change management – Track what changes through the system life
cycle development process.

Hierarchal relationship management – During development, the system starts
out as a block diagram, a single block.  This is broken down into high
level functional blocks.  These blocks will undergo further
decomposition/refinement.  Each refinement is one of many that can be
realized.  Alternatives are evaluated and eventually selected.  Keeping
track of these in Visio requires tracking/cataloguing files and their
relationships – not an intuitive task.  With the associated network for
each of these block diagrams, I am guessing there should be a method to
store the data along with relationships.

These systems start off with the single system block.  They refine to 200
to 5,000 components (nodes) and 5,000 to 20,000 connections (edges).  This
is probably the greatest advantage of programmable solutions:  The ability
to present/render layouts to accommodate viewpoints of a variety of
stakeholders.

What are the concepts, tools, modules and methods that would help me
achieve these goals?

I am looking for info that will help me come up to speed efficiently.

Rayj