On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we create an environment... where character matters, hard work is
> respected, humility is valued, and support for one another is unconditional?
>
> I admittedly stole that quote, but only because I wholeheartedly agree it is
> good to always aspire to better ourselves. Some of the Sage developers who
> are better with words than me went ahead and stole a lot more, mostly from
> Fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/code-of-conduct) and Django
> (https://www.djangoproject.com/conduct), to formulate a "Code of Conduct"
> for the Sage project. I'm happy to present it here, and welcome everyone to
> vote on it.

For concreteness:

[ ] Yes, this is a great idea.  About time!

[ ] This looks good, but it would be better if... (insert suggestions).

[ ] No, I greatly value the freedom to spout offensive profanity, and
will fork Sage in frustration if there is such a code.  (We really do
want to know if there are any developers who would quit working on
Sage if we have this Code of Conduct; by definition such a person
should have no hesitation publicly saying so in response to this
email.  I'm imagining what someone like Linus Torvalds might say if
this were proposed on the Linux kernel mailing list.   I just want
people to think -- having a code of conduct isn't _obviously_ the
right thing to do.)

> Code of Conduct
> ---------------
>
> The Sage community is comprised of an international mixture of
> mathematicians, computer scientists, engineers,
> researchers, teachers, amateurs, and others with varied backgrounds. This
> diversity is one of our strengths, but it can also lead to communication
> problems and unhappiness. People who love working on
> Sage can more effectively collaborate with others if they follow this code.
>
> If you believe someone is violating the code of conduct, we ask that you
> report it by emailing sage-ab...@googlegroups.com. The group administrators
> will consider the issue and explore resolutions. It
> is also possible to move heated discussions to the mailing list
> sage-fl...@googlegroups.com.
>
> 1)   Be friendly and patient.
>
> 2)   Be welcoming. We strive to be a community that welcomes and supports
> people of all backgrounds and identities.
>
> 3)   Be considerate. Your work will be used by other people and you in turn
> will depend on the work of others. Any decision you take will affect users
> and developers so you should take those
> consequences into account when making decisions. Conversely, Sage is
> constantly evolving, and earlier decisions that were made in good faith may
> sometimes need to be reconsidered. Nonetheless, we
> should still appreciate the hard work done in the past.
>
> 4)   Be respectful and polite. Not all of us will agree all the time, but
> disagreement is no excuse for poor behavior and poor manners. We might all
> experience some frustration now and then, but we
> cannot allow that frustration to morph into personal attacks. It is
> important to remember that a community where people feel uncomfortable or
> threatened is not a productive one. Members of the Sage
> community should be respectful when dealing with other developers and users.
>
> When we disagree, we should try to understand why. Disagreements, both
> social and technical, happen all the time. It is important that we resolve
> disagreements and differing views constructively.
> Being unable to understand why someone holds a viewpoint does not mean that
> they are wrong. Do not forget that it is human to err. Blame alone gets us
> nowhere, it is better to help resolve issues so
> we can all learn from our mistakes.

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington