On Friday, November 14, 2014 5:05:20 AM UTC-8, Ursula Whitcher wrote:

> On 11/14/2014 3:05 AM, rjf wrote:
> >
> > If the  AMS Notices is publishing papers that should instead be
> > submitted to computer science publications
> > (Software Practice and Experience comes to mind),  should computer
> > science journals publish
> > papers on pure mathematics?
>
> Bear in mind that the Notices isn't a research journal.  It publishes
> expository articles, opinion pieces, and news-magazine style writing.
> The submissions guidelines specifically state that discussion should be
> geared toward non-experts.

I think the case here was that the authors, reviewers, and editors were
non-experts.

I hope that if the AMS publishes a response it will be authored, reviewed,
and edited
by experts in software, computer algebra systems, verification.  The
specifics of
the mathematical problem and the algorithm are,  I think, incidental, though
perhaps others disagree. ?