Yes, having it public seems a good idea to me. I'm not sure about the
"read-only", for me this list could be a place where you can just send a
message to the community as a whole to point out a thread going out of
hand. (For example, I don't read all threads, so I wouldn't always know).
There is no question of having a court! And administrators shouldn't be
judges.