I feel this is going nowhere...

We should start with the assumption we all agree on something: we want the
sage mailing list to be place where no one is bullied and where we can
express our different point of views safely and with respect. I think we
all want that whether we voted yes or no to the code of conduct itself. It
is a sensitive matter because if we don't feel we have this, then it can
affect our involvement into the project itself.

I think everyone's actions so far toward the code of conduct has been
motivated by this goal, on both side.

I don't know who wrote the code of conduct that was proposed and, honestly,
I don't really care. It was maybe a mistake to do it this way and I agree
that Vincent's proposal to work on it on a wiki is better. But I don't
think they did it with bad intentions. And seeing how things are now, I
understand they don't want to say anything and to defend themselves against
being a conspiracy, a secret police or something.

Rather than pointing fingers on how things should have been done, and why
were they done this way... I think we should try to find a solution to our
problem which is the goal I stated: the sage mailing list to be place where
no one is bullied and where we can express our different point of views
safely and with respect. (Of course, this will never be perfect, the idea
is to make our best)

Some of us thought a code of conduct will help to reach this goal and there
was a big debate on the first thread about this very question. There was a
vote and even though the legitimacy of the vote is contested, it still says
something: there are a quite a bunch of people (a majority of the voters)
who think things are not good enough the way they are and wanted a code of
conduct.

So now, in the spirit of a consensus, what should we do? Keeping the code
of conduct as it is is not good, it divides the community and some people
feel excluded and disagree with the process. Leaving things as they were is
not good either, as some people expressed in a vote that they wanted a
change and they might complain if the vote is ignored (and once again, it's
because they feel sage would be a better and safer place with the code).
For the same reason, voting again on the same question is not good, as
whatever the result is, some people will feel excluded.

Is it possible to find a compromise on which people are mostly ok? For
example, I proposed to have some "guidelines" instead of an actual code.
And Vincent proposed to work on a wiki to make a better text.

Also, the process itself was an issue. To those who contest the vote: in
what condition would you accept whatever the result is? What would you
propose to do?

I hope this helps, and please remind again that we all want the same thing.

Cheers

Viviane

PS: to answer to Nathann specifically, your tone was indeed completely ok
and you were answered with some contempt.