I'd say by definition a git branch is what is listed by "git branch".
Having said that, it is just a label for a commit. There are other kinds of
labels for commits, for example tags. Whenever you fetch (pull) something
from a remote a local copy (of the commits on the remote) is made, and they
also have labels. But its not really a git branch, as you saw you can't
check it out directly and you can't add commits on top without actually
creating a new branch off it.