Le dimanche 22 février 2015 15:24:53 UTC+1, Simon King a écrit :

> Seriously? I didn't know that Sage's coercion model has such special
> cases. OK, it makes it possible to get a typical usecase with least
> effort.
> But my impression is that ultimately such special cases cause a lot more
> confusion than a clear model in the spirit of "arithmetics across
> parents relies on coercion morphisms, which are canonical morphisms in
> suitable categories, and the composition of coercion morphisms is a
> coercion morphism".

I agree. Actually, I've discovered the quoted lines of
sage.structure.coerce.pyx while trying to understand why 0+x works while
QQ(0) + x does not.

Note this:
>   sage: from sage.rings.integer import is_Integer
>   sage: is_Integer(int(0))
>   False

Note that the function is_Integer used in sage.structure.coerce.pyx is
*not* the above one: it is defined in lines 134-139 and it returns True for
is_Integer(int(0)).

Best regards,

Eric.